Archive for the ‘New York – Waterfront’ Category

West Harlem Piers   Leave a comment

  • West Harlem Piers (Henry Hudson Pkwy. between St. Clair Place and West 135 Street) – The West Harlem Waterfront Park is a landscaped transformation of the historic Manhattanville shoreline. For thousands of years, the natural topography of this site formed a valley and small sheltered cove off the Hudson River, also known as the North River. This solitary break between the bluffs of today’s Morningside Heights and Washington Heights provided the only direct river access to the area’s earliest native residents as well as a convenient inroad to the area’s early 17th-century non-native arrivals.

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

New York New Jersey Rail, LLC (and NJ and NY Terminals)   Leave a comment

 

This post covers the New York New Jersey Rail, LLC and related terminals.
Read the rest of this entry »

South Brooklyn Marine Terminal   Leave a comment

South Brooklyn Marine Terminal

The New York and South Brooklyn Ferry operated a ferry from the Battery Maritime Building (formerly known as Municipal Ferry Pier) to the South Brooklyn 39th Street Ferry Terminal, where rail transfer was possible until 1935.

Adjacent to the Bush Terminal it is served New York New Jersey Rail (owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey) car float operations and transloading activities via the 65th Street Yard which also connects to the Bay Ridge Branch, operated by the New York Connecting Railroad. Rail infrastructure improvements completed in 2012 connected the yard to SBMT along 1st Avenue as well a new break-bulk rail spur along the 39th Street shed, two new rail sidings for auto rack transloading, and a new rail connection to the SIMS facility at the 29th Street Pier.

SBMT is connected along the South Brooklyn Railway (ROW) to 36th–38th Street Yard. In 2012, the interchange with New York New Jersey Rail, LLC at Second Avenue was refurbished and a new ramp was installed at the 38th Street Yard at Fourth Avenue to allow receipt of new R156 locomotives and other subway rolling stock that are delivered on flat cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Brooklyn_Marine_Terminal

Read the rest of this entry »

Red Hook Container Terminal   Leave a comment

Red Hook WaterStories

  • Welcome to 400+ years of Red Hook history!  Here are many forgotten stories from our evocative neighborhood, and NYC’s maritime story in microcosm.  Explore:
    • A digital museum about our waterfront past and present
    • Red Hook retail, arts, non-profits, schools, recreation
    • Resiliency and flood prep info

    It’s a resource for locals, tourists, history buffs, urban-planners, educators, investors, flaneurs. Explore via menus, the search window or the interactive map. On the map, click the colored, numbered dots to zoom in to multiple items in that location. Then click on a pin to explore that item. Anchor icons mean sites of major importance.

https://redhookwaterstories.org

Red Hook Container Terminal

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hook_Container_Terminal

Read the rest of this entry »

Louis J. Valentino Jr. Park and Pier   Leave a comment

IMG_0122Valentino Pier

Ferris St. between Coffey Street and Van Dyke Street, Brooklyn

Now surrounded by industrial, residential, and historic buildings, Valentino Pier was once the site of an active shipping industry. In the 1600s, the Red Hook district was settled by the Dutch. As the land became more developed and the population grew, the shipping industry began to take form. With the growth of the New York Harbor and accompanying changes on the waterfront, Red Hook became one of the nation’s premier shipping centers in the 19th century. This pier is a reminder of the shipping industry that once occupied the waters of the Buttermilk Channel and the Upper New York Harbor.

This park was named in honor of firefighter and Parks lifeguard Louis J. Valentino, Jr. (1958 – 1996). Over the years, Valentino lived and studied in a number of Brooklyn neighborhoods, including Sacred Heart St. Stephens in Red Hook, Xaverian High School in Bay Ridge, and St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights. He then fulfilled his lifelong aspiration to become a firefighter, joining the New York City Fire Department in 1984. Valentino first served with Engine Company 281, where he battled fires for two years. He then moved on to Ladder Company 147, where he served until 1993, when he was accepted to the elite Rescue Company 2 in Crown Heights—joining the ranks of the city’s most experienced and versatile firefighters. Valentino was twice cited for his bravery, in 1987 and 1990.

On February 5, 1996, Valentino lost his life while searching for wounded firefighters in a three-alarm blaze in an illegal Flatlands garage. Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier preserves the memory of a man who demonstrated selfless devotion to fighting fires and saving lives.

Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier was originally built in 1996 by the City’s Economic Development Corporation before becoming a city park in 1999. From the pier can be seen the Statue of Liberty, Governor’s Island, Manhattan’s skyline, Staten Island, and the New York Harbor. Other parks and attractions nearby include Red Hook Recreation Area/Red Hook Pool, The Waterfront Museum and Showboat Barge, and Beard Street Pier.

Source:  http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/valentino-pier

Naval Station and Shipyards, Historic   9 comments

Index to this Post:

  • Bethlehem Steel Company, Staten Island, New York
  • Brooklyn Army Terminal
  • Brooklyn Navy Yard
  • Bush Terminal/Industry City
  • Hoboken Shipyard
  • Marine Ocean Terminal at Bayonne (MOTBY)
  • Naval Station New York

Read the rest of this entry »

Palisades Interstate Park   Leave a comment

Palisades Interstate Park

Palisades Interstate Park and its creator, the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, was formed in 1900 by governors Theodore Roosevelt of New York and Foster M. Voorhees of New Jersey in response to the destruction of the Palisades by quarry operators in the late 19th century. The Palisades are the cliffs on the west bank of the Hudson River across from and continuing north of Manhattan island. The Commission consists of ten commissioners, five appointed by each Governor, who serve staggered five-year terms.

In 1912, George W. Perkins was appointed chairman of the newly formed Commission by governor Roosevelt. He hired Major William A. Welch as assistant engineer, and in 1914 named him chief engineer and general manager. Under Welch’s leadership, the Palisades Interstate Park grew from the initial 10,000 acre (40 km²) Bear Mountain State Park to the more than 40,000 acre (162 km²) Harriman State Park. By 1919 nearly a million people a year were coming to the park.

When work started on the Park there were no existing models or precedents for an endeavor of its nature and scope. Welch organized a massive reforestation program, built 23 new lakes, 100 miles (160 km) of scenic drives and 103 children’s camps, where 65,000 urban children enjoyed the outdoors each summer. He helped found the Palisades Interstate Park Trail Conference and served as chairman of the Appalachian Trail Conference.

The Palisades park system has been expanded over the years; it now includes 24 parks and eight historic sites, covering over 100,000 acres (405 km²) along more than 20 miles (32 km) of Hudson River shoreline and beyond: the Commission also oversees Minnewaska State Park Preserve. The commission also operates the Palisades Interstate Parkway, built between 1947 and 1958.

The Palisades Interstate Park was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965. The area included in the landmarking is the Palisades Park in New Jersey, the Palisades Park in New York State, and the Tallman Mountain State Park in New York State.

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisades_Interstate_Park

 

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted July 21, 2011 by David Polakoff in Palisades Interstate Park

Tagged with