The contents of this blog and the links offered are presented to provide both historical and current information to spread the enjoyment of the waterways and waterfront of New York and New Jersey, along the Hudson River and the New York Harbor. The purpose of this blog is for entertainment and pleasure purposes, only.
I have been sailing on the Hudson River, as a pleasure sailor, race crew, basic sailing instructor, and sailboat charter captain for about 20 years. Over the course of time, I have acquired knowledge of sailing on the waterway and information related to the waterways and waterfront, some of it important and some of it trivial. I have learned a lot of this knowledge from the benefit of my fellow sailors and history buffs, as well as a lot of reading. As such, I have created this blog to further share information, as it has been shared with me, and to have you enhance my knowledge through your suggestions.
Thank you for your interest and support.
The “buttons” across the top are the various blog topics.
- Bilgewater contains observations and notes about sailing on the North River (aka., the Hudson River) and also about the waterfront and waterway.
- Marine/Sailing Articles/Stories are links to mainstream sources for articles about the Hudson River and its surrounding environment. Posts to this page are also posted to Twitter: http://twitter.com/radiodavej24 – sign-up to receive the posting updates.
- Miscellaneous includes links to one-off and recurring events on/around the Hudson River, as well as other random links to other Hudson River related phenomenon.
- NY Waterfront is an alphabetical index of items in the “Categories” section. See “Categories” for further descriptions. On the leftside of the blog pages, the “Categories” repeat those same topics, but if you click through to those pages, you’ll find descriptive content and the links to the topic’s full resource.
- Infrastructure – Bridges, tunnels, public works facilities, and commercial maritime activities along the waterfront.
- North River, NY Sailing – Google Map – Google Map customized for North River, New York Sailing posts and sites.
- Notable Sites – Other notable floatilla, buildings, and landmarks along the waterfront and within the waterway.
- Parks – Designated parks and communities along the waterfront and within the waterway..
- NY Waterway is an alphabetical index of items in the “Categories” section. See “Categories” for further descriptions. On the leftside of the blog pages, the “Categories” repeat those same topics, but if you click through to those pages, you’ll find descriptive content and the links to the topic’s full resource.
- Charts and Coast Pilot (NOAA)
- Climate Change – Hudson River
- Ice Breaking Operations
- Marine Life
- New Jersey State Police Boating Safety Manual
- New York Cruise Ship Schedule
- New York Harbor
- New York/New Jersey Harbor PORTS
- North River (Hudson River)
- Safe Boating in the Hudson River and New York Bay
- Sandy Hook Pilots Association
- Tides and Currents
- USCG – New York (Homeport)
- USCG – Notice to Local Mariners, District 5
- Vessels in Port
- Waterway Access/Activities
- Wind Readings