Archive for the ‘Parks’ Category

West Harlem Piers   Leave a comment

  • West Harlem Piers (Henry Hudson Pkwy. between St. Clair Place and West 135 Street) – The West Harlem Waterfront Park is a landscaped transformation of the historic Manhattanville shoreline. For thousands of years, the natural topography of this site formed a valley and small sheltered cove off the Hudson River, also known as the North River. This solitary break between the bluffs of today’s Morningside Heights and Washington Heights provided the only direct river access to the area’s earliest native residents as well as a convenient inroad to the area’s early 17th-century non-native arrivals.

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Louis J. Valentino Jr. Park and Pier   Leave a comment

IMG_0122Valentino Pier

Ferris St. between Coffey Street and Van Dyke Street, Brooklyn

Now surrounded by industrial, residential, and historic buildings, Valentino Pier was once the site of an active shipping industry. In the 1600s, the Red Hook district was settled by the Dutch. As the land became more developed and the population grew, the shipping industry began to take form. With the growth of the New York Harbor and accompanying changes on the waterfront, Red Hook became one of the nation’s premier shipping centers in the 19th century. This pier is a reminder of the shipping industry that once occupied the waters of the Buttermilk Channel and the Upper New York Harbor.

This park was named in honor of firefighter and Parks lifeguard Louis J. Valentino, Jr. (1958 – 1996). Over the years, Valentino lived and studied in a number of Brooklyn neighborhoods, including Sacred Heart St. Stephens in Red Hook, Xaverian High School in Bay Ridge, and St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights. He then fulfilled his lifelong aspiration to become a firefighter, joining the New York City Fire Department in 1984. Valentino first served with Engine Company 281, where he battled fires for two years. He then moved on to Ladder Company 147, where he served until 1993, when he was accepted to the elite Rescue Company 2 in Crown Heights—joining the ranks of the city’s most experienced and versatile firefighters. Valentino was twice cited for his bravery, in 1987 and 1990.

On February 5, 1996, Valentino lost his life while searching for wounded firefighters in a three-alarm blaze in an illegal Flatlands garage. Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier preserves the memory of a man who demonstrated selfless devotion to fighting fires and saving lives.

Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier was originally built in 1996 by the City’s Economic Development Corporation before becoming a city park in 1999. From the pier can be seen the Statue of Liberty, Governor’s Island, Manhattan’s skyline, Staten Island, and the New York Harbor. Other parks and attractions nearby include Red Hook Recreation Area/Red Hook Pool, The Waterfront Museum and Showboat Barge, and Beard Street Pier.

Source:  http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/valentino-pier

Palisades Interstate Park   Leave a comment

Palisades Interstate Park

Palisades Interstate Park and its creator, the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, was formed in 1900 by governors Theodore Roosevelt of New York and Foster M. Voorhees of New Jersey in response to the destruction of the Palisades by quarry operators in the late 19th century. The Palisades are the cliffs on the west bank of the Hudson River across from and continuing north of Manhattan island. The Commission consists of ten commissioners, five appointed by each Governor, who serve staggered five-year terms.

In 1912, George W. Perkins was appointed chairman of the newly formed Commission by governor Roosevelt. He hired Major William A. Welch as assistant engineer, and in 1914 named him chief engineer and general manager. Under Welch’s leadership, the Palisades Interstate Park grew from the initial 10,000 acre (40 km²) Bear Mountain State Park to the more than 40,000 acre (162 km²) Harriman State Park. By 1919 nearly a million people a year were coming to the park.

When work started on the Park there were no existing models or precedents for an endeavor of its nature and scope. Welch organized a massive reforestation program, built 23 new lakes, 100 miles (160 km) of scenic drives and 103 children’s camps, where 65,000 urban children enjoyed the outdoors each summer. He helped found the Palisades Interstate Park Trail Conference and served as chairman of the Appalachian Trail Conference.

The Palisades park system has been expanded over the years; it now includes 24 parks and eight historic sites, covering over 100,000 acres (405 km²) along more than 20 miles (32 km) of Hudson River shoreline and beyond: the Commission also oversees Minnewaska State Park Preserve. The commission also operates the Palisades Interstate Parkway, built between 1947 and 1958.

The Palisades Interstate Park was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965. The area included in the landmarking is the Palisades Park in New Jersey, the Palisades Park in New York State, and the Tallman Mountain State Park in New York State.

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisades_Interstate_Park

 

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted July 21, 2011 by David Polakoff in Palisades Interstate Park

Tagged with

Governors Island

Governor's Island from air

http://www.nps.gov/gois/index.htm

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted February 13, 2011 by David Polakoff in Governors Island, New York - Waterfront

Tagged with

Battery Park City (including historic pier information)

Battery Park City – Map

http://www.batteryparkcity.org/page/index_battery.html

Battery Park City is a 92-acre (0.4 km²) planned community at the southwestern tip of lower Manhattan in New York City, United States. The land upon which it stands was created on the Hudson River using 1.2 million cubic yards (917,000 m3) of soil and rocks excavated during the construction of the World Trade Center and certain other construction projects, as well as from sand dredged from New York Harbor off Staten Island.  The neighborhood, which is the site of the World Financial Center along with numerous housing, commercial and retail buildings, is named for adjacent Battery Park.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Park_City

 

 

Read the rest of this entry »

Riverside Park South (including historic pier information)

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/vt_riverside_park/vt_rs_12_riverside_park_south.html

Read the rest of this entry »

Riverbank State Park

See also North River Wastewater Treatment Plant

Read the rest of this entry »