Hudson River Park (including current and historic pier information)   4 comments

Note:  A 1943 map of historic piers can viewed by clicking here:  New York Harbor Terminals.  It is also presented in the Battery Park page.

Note:  This post is organized by Pier number, starting from Pier 99 down to Pier 25.  For park and pier information north of Pier 99, refer to Riverside Park and for park and piers below Pier 25, refer to Battery Park City.

A Busy Day in New York Harbor, circa 1934, video, below:

Hudson River Park, the longest waterfront park in the United States, has transformed four miles of decaying piers and parking lots along Manhattan’s West side into a beloved, urban recreational paradise.  Attracting 17 million visits each year, the Park offers a myriad of recreational and educational activities for local residents and visitors alike, and plays a critical role in protecting the Hudson River environment itself.

Hudson River Park is a waterside park on the Hudson River that extends from 59th Street south to Battery Park in the New York City borough of Manhattan. Bicycle and pedestrian paths, including the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway, span the park north to south, opening up the waterfront for recreational use. The park includes tennis and soccer fields, batting cages, children’s playground, dog run, recreational piers, and many other features.

Clinton Cove Park (Hudson River, from 55th to 57th Street)  – This two-acre park – officially called Clinton Cove Section of Hudson River Park – is planted with lawns and shade trees and includes a public boat house at the waterfront and a number of other amenities. Among other things, park users have access to a café in the UnConvention Center, which borders the park on the south, and also to the public walkway extending out to the western end of Pier 94.

Pier 99

Circa 1951, Pier 99, Department of Sanitation. Photo Source:

Pier 98


Berenice Abbott (American, 1898-1991). West Side Express Highway and Piers 95-98, November 10, 1937


Pier 97

Pier 97 - Construction progress (October 2011)

Pier 97 – Construction progress (October 2011)

Circa 1951, Pier 97, Swedish American Line. Photo Source:

Pier 97 and W 57th St in the 1960’s. From the Dawe collection.
Photo source:

The Kungsholm of 1966 approaching Pier 97. Photo from the Curt Dawe collection. Photo source:

Pier 96

Circa 1951. Pier 96. Photo Source:

Pier 96, looking west.

Circa 1951, Furness Bermuda and Prince Lines, Pier 95. Photo Source:

Pier 95

Piers 88, 90, 92, 93, and 94



This is one of those amazing New York Harbour port photographs. R.M.S. Mauretania is seen berthed at the top Pier 92.  Coming in is R.M.S. Queen Elizabeth heading for Pier 90, the smaller white ship is the Greek Line TSS Olympia, next to heris the United States Lines S.S. Unites States and the S.S. America, finally the American Export Lines S.S. Independence.



Circa 1951, Pier 93. Photo Source:

From front to back, the liners are the Hamburg, the Bremen, the Columbus, the De Grasse, the Normandie, the Britannic, the Aquitania, the Conte de Savoia, the Fort Townsend and the Monarch of Bermuda. Photo Source:

USS Seattle (IX-39) and USS Camden (IX-42) At the Naval Receiving Station, Pier 92, New York City. Camden, on the right, served as a barracks ship and provided steam and power to Seattle and the facilities on the pier. Photo No. NH 89402 Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photo Source:

The famous British liner, QUEEN MARY, arrives in New York Harbor, June 20, 1945, with thousands of U.S. troops from European battles. Photo source:,_QUEEN_MARY,_arrives_in_New_York_Harbor,_June_20,_1945,_with_thousands_of_U.S._troops_from_European_battles_HD-SN-99-03026.jpg

Circa 1951, Pier 92. Photo source:

The BRITANNIC alongside Pier 92 at New York (foreground). The QUEEN MARY and the MAURETANIA are berthed at Pier 90, and beyond them are the piers for the French Line, Greek Line and United States Lines. The world-famous ‘Market Diner’ can just be distinguished directly across the road from the QUEEN MARY’s bow. Source:

The QUEEN ELIZABETH approaching the north side of Pier 90 at New York. In the centre, on the south side of Pier 90, is the QUEEN MARY, and across the dock from her, on the north side of Pier 88, is the NORMANDIE. Photo source:

For two weeks in March 1940, four of the world’s greatest liners were together at New York. Top left: the MAURETANIA on Pier 86; centre: the French Line’s NORMANDIE on Pier 88; and bottom, on Pier 90, the QUEEN MARY and the QUEEN ELIZABETH. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 90, he Cunard and White Star Line. Photo Source:

CRUISE SHIPS IN DOCK AT NEW YORK HARBOR. Large shop is docking at Pier 90; white building with vertical black stripe is 811 10th Avenue at 53d Street. Photo source:

The capsized Lafayette between Piers 88 and 90.
During another pass over New York harbor, a VJ-4 photographer took this view of Lafayette (originally SS Normandie) resting on her beam ends, 22 February 1942. Note ice in the Hudson, and French merchantmen Ile de Re and Mont Everest moored to the opposite side of Pier 88.
Photo Source:

USS Lafayette (Formerly the SS Normandie) capsized in the Hudson River. She capsized after catching fire while being converted to a troop ship. New York, February 1942 Source:

Fire on the SS Normandie – February 9, 1942 Photo source:

Circa 1951. Pier 88, French Line. Photo Source:

Pier 86

  • Intrepid Air and Space Museum
  • Pier 86, once used by the United States Lines
  • USS Intrepid (CV/CVA/CVS-11), also known as The Fighting “I”, is one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. She is the fourth US Navy ship to bear the name. Commissioned in August 1943, Intrepid participated in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations, most notably the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Decommissioned shortly after the end of the war, she was modernized and recommissioned in the early 1950s as an attack carrier (CVA), and then eventually became an antisubmarine carrier (CVS). In her second career, she served mainly in the Atlantic, but also participated in the Vietnam War. Her notable achievements include being the recovery ship for a Mercury and a Gemini space mission. Because of her prominent role in battle, she was nicknamed “the Fighting I”, while her often ill-luck and the time spent in dry dock for repairs earned her the nickname “the Dry I”.  Decommissioned in 1974, in 1982 Intrepid became the foundation of the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museumin New York City.
  • Berthed at Manhattan’s Pier 86 in the Hudson River is a superstructure that floated, moved, and accommodated the population of a sizable town. It was integral in the Second, Cold, and Vietnam wars; served as the base of many air groups operating both piston and pure-jet aircraft; became the target of torpedo and kamikaze strikes; and survived as a testimonial to its tenacity and contribution to victory as an air, sea, and space museum.

    Featuring a 912-foot overall length and 103-foot breadth, the ship, displacing 41,434 tons and capable of a 33-knot speed, accommodated 100 airplanes and almost 4,000 crew members. It was commissioned as CV-11 on August 16, 1943.

  • See more about the USS Intrepid and the Intrepid Air and Space Museum, including current day photos, on this page of the blog posting:   Churches and Museums.
  • View Pier on North River Sail NY Google Map

Piers 85 and 86, circa 1930

Circa 1951. Pier 86. Photo Source:

On, June 23, 1952 and the United States Lines flagship S.S. UNITED STATES pulled into Pier 86.
Photo source:



The S.S. Normandie, seen from a Staten Island ship steaming through upper bay on its way to a river pier built for it, ca. 1935-1941.



Pier 84  –

Pier 83

Pier 81

Hudson River Day Line at Pier 81, North River, 1951 Photo Source:

The steamboat Robert Fulton, of the Hudson River Day Line, sails out of Albany to New York City Nov. 26, 1930, on the Hudson in Albany, N.Y. The steel steamer was built in 1909. It measured 348 feet bow to stern, had an engine rating of 3,850 horse power and could carry 4,000 passengers. (Times Union archive) Photo credit:

Pier 80

Circa 1951. Pier 80. Photo Source:

Pier 79

Pier 78

  • Pier 78 was part of the Pennsylvania Railroad
  • View on North River Sail NY Google Map

    Pennsylvania Railroad Pier 78 – Stock Yard – May 17, 1927 Looking southwest – G. W. Lewis livestock boat tied up to pier on right and tug approaching on extreme right edge of photo Rubble in foreground is being used to fill in West 38th Street basin and allow Twelfth Avenue to continue north. P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
    Photo source:

Circa 1951, Pier 78, Pennsylvania Railroad. Photo Source:

Pier 77

Pier 76

Pier 74

Circa 1951. Pier 74. Photo Source:

Pier 72 and Pier 73

New York Central Freight Station Pier 73 (left), float bridges (center), Pier 72 (right) – ca. 1929 (looking east) unknown photographer NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Circa 1951. Pier 73. Photo Source:

Circa 1951. Pier 72. Photo Source:

Pier 68

Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Freight Station / Pier 68 – May 29, 1931 P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Pier 68, Lackawanna Rail and Coal Company. Photo Source:

Pier 67

West 28th Street – Howe Truss Float Bridge – November 1910 Pier 67 on left – Erie Railroad Bulkhead Shed to right. T. Flagg archives.
Photo source:

Pier 66

  • Pier 66 offers opportunities for a broad range of boating activities. It’s also a great place for sitting and watching the river flow by. Boathouse and Boat Slips The Pier 66 boathouse is geared toward non-motorized boating. NY River Sports offers kayak trips and lessons, kayak polo and outrigger programs. During operational hours, the public may also launch small hand powered boats from the dock.
    • Art in the Park:  Long Time, by artist Paul Ramirez Jonas, is a working water wheel that captures the beauty of the majestic Hudson River while harkening back to its shipping and milling history. Carefully placed at the western end of the pier, the sculpture turns with the tide as the river ebbs and flows. The wheel is constructed of stainless steel and has a diameter of 26 feet.
    • Pier 66 Lab:  Hudson River Park Trust operates the Pier 66 Lab in the boathouse for its education and related purposes. Contact the Environment and Education Department at
    • Viewing scopes:  Viewing scopes at the end of the pier offer views of passing watercraft and the New Jersey shoreline.
  • The boathouse is operated by NY River Sports and hosts the programs of New York Kayak Polo, Manhattan Kayak Company, NY Outrigger and Hudson River Community Sailing.
  • Pier 66 was used by the Lehigh Valley Railroad.
  • See Pier 63.
  • View on North River Sail NY Google Map

    ca. 1925 (looking east-southeast) Note the Lehigh Valley Railroad West 27th Street float bridge gantry on left edge of image. unknown photographer NYPL Digital Archives.
    Photo source:

ca. 1925 (Lehigh Valley Pier 66 on left, Baltimore & Ohio West 26th St float bridge at center – looking east) unknown photographer NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Lehigh Valley Railroad Pier 66 – July 12, 1931 Starrett – Lehigh Building under construction on the site of the West 27th Street Yard with Baltimore & Ohio Railroad float bridge and 9 story West 26th Street “Freight Stores” Warehouse to right. Note Pier 66 is light colored with “Lehigh Valley” in white letters on dark horizontal bar. Compare to photo below.) (looking east) P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Pier 66, Lehigh Valley Railroad. Photo Source:

1924 Army Air Service. The Erie Railroad, like many other trunk line railroads on the west shore of the Hudson River, opened an offline freight terminal in the borough of Manhattan. This Erie Railroad terminal was located at West 28th Street and opened circa 1902. This facility was built as the result of the Erie Railroad having to relocate from their West 23rd Street Yard which was placed in service in 1868. As that facility became inadequate for the larger freight cars coming into service at the turn of the century, and as the City of New York was planning on some infrastructure construction along the bulkhead, the City condemned the West 23rd Street property on which the Erie was leasing, forcing Erie to relocate their Manhattan Terminal to West 28th Street. This would turn out to be to the Erie’s advantage, as due to the angle of Twelfth Avenue, the West 28th Street facility was almost double in size when compared to the West 23rd Street Freight Station. Photo Source:

Circa 1936, A tugboat tows railroad cars on car floats on the Hudson River at New York City. Across the river, piers and skyscrapers form the Mid-Manhattan skyline. Photo Source: Photo Source:

Hazy: New York Harbor looking straight down bustling 42nd Street, January, 1946. Photo Source:

Long Time is a working water wheel that captures the beauty of the majestic Hudson River while harkening back to its shipping and milling history. Placed at the end of Pier 66, it turns with the tide as the river ebbs and flows. The wheel is constructed of stainless steel and has a diameter of 26 feet.

Pier 66a

  • Historic Baltimore & Ohio Railroad  Float Transfer Bridge.  This structure, now eligible for the State and National Registers of Historic Places, was carefully restored by the New York State Department of Transportation and Hudson River Park Trust, in part through a federal transportation grant. Until the early 1970s, railroad cars used to float into Manhattan by barge, then link up with railroad tracks at the waterfront, and finally to warehouses located nearby. Before the advent of refrigeration, livestock was transported into Manhattan, then herded to the nearby Meat Market.
  • Pier 66 Maritime:  Just west of the Float Bridge is a barge and historic ship complex known as “Pier 66 Maritime.” Owned and operated privately, this barge includes a cafe and boating operations of various types. Visitors to the barge can view and explore the historic Frying Pan and John J. Harvey (
  • The Lightship Frying Pan
    • Built in 1928, Lightship #115, “Frying Pan,” guarded its namesake, Frying Pan Shoals, 30 miles off Cape Fear, North Carolina, from 1930 to 1965.  She is 133 fet and 3 inches in length with a 30 foot beam, and she is 632 gross tons.
    • After being abandoned for 10  years while docked at an old oyster cannery in the Chesapeake Bay, we believe she sank due to a broken pipe.  She was underwater for three years before being raised by salvors.  Instead of going to the scrapyard, the ship was sold to its present owners.  After tons of silt and shells were removed from the hull, the ship was outfitted with a new engine and, in 1989, was sailed to New York City.
  • See Pier 63.
  • View on North River Sail NY Google Map

Retired Lightship, “Frying Pan.”

Retired lightship, “Frying Pan.”

Historic B&O Float Bridge at Pier 66a.

Pier 65

Circa 1951, Pier 65. Photo Source:

Pier 63

  • Note – The picture below is of the 23rd Street Terminal; there is no pier number listed or noted.  23rd Street, though would be Pier 64.

23rd Street Surface Car, West 23rd Street, Manhattan Photo Source:

Pier 64

Circa 1951, Panama Lin,e Pier 64. Photo Source:

Pier 64, today

March 9, 2003 – Pier 64 Photo Source:

Pier 62

Circa 1951. Pier 62,United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 62, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Pier 61, Pier 60 and Pier 59

  •  Chelsea Piers Entertainment and Sports Complex

    Pier 61 – Chelsea Piers (White Star Line)
    Photo Source:


  • In 1910, the opening of the Chelsea Piers was marked with a ribbon cutting and speeches, including lots of back-patting after 30 long years of talk and 8 years of construction. Designed by the architectural firm of Warren and Wetmore, which was also designing Grand Central Terminal at the same time, the Chelsea Piers replaced a hodgepodge of run-down waterfront structures with a magnificent row of grand buildings embellished with pink granite facades.For the next 50 years, the Chelsea Piers served the needs of the New York port: first, as the city’s premier passenger ship terminal; then as an embarkation point for soldiers departing for the battlefields of World Wars I and II; and finally, during the late 1950s and early 1960s, as a cargo terminal.In the early days, as docks for the famed White Star and Cunard lines, the Chelsea Piers welcomed most of the world’s great liners. Sometimes, in the afternoons, one could see as many as twenty stacks, as five liners prepared to sail on the evening tide.At the same time that the rich and famous were arriving at the Chelsea Piers, so were the immigrants, many of whom traveled in steerage class and suffered extreme hardships, including incredible overcrowding and disease. New York City was the port of entry preferred by shipping lines for discharging their immigrant cargoes. By 1910, thousands of immigrants were arriving at the Hudson River shoreline everyday. Most ships came first to the Chelsea Piers, where the travelers were transferred to ferries for the final leg of their journey to Ellis Island and freedom. After that, the Chelsea Piers, like much of Manhattan’s waterfront, became neglected maritime relics, made obsolete by the jet plane that whisked passengers across the Atlantic and the large container ships that required dock facilities and truck linkages that Manhattan could never provide.The redevelopment of the four surviving Chelsea Piers marks a major step in the rebirth of the Manhattan waterfront for public use and recreation, and returns these piers to the prominence they enjoyed during the early 20th Century when they were the center of international ocean liner travel.
  • View Pier 61 on North River Sail NY Google Map
  • View Pier 60 on North River Sail NY Google Map
  • View Pier 59 on North River Sail NY Google Map

Circa 1951, Pier 61, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 61, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 60, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 60, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 59, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 59, United States Lines. Photo Source:

Circa, 1951. United States Lines, Pier 59. Photo Source:

Chelsea Piers (Piers 60 and 59).
Chelsea, NYC & Empire State from RMS Mauretania, Aug 1949
Photographer Jonathan Barker supplied this picture with this caption:
“My mother’s photos in 1949 when she was on her last round-trip from Southampton to New York as a purser on Cunard liner RMS Mauretania. She has never returned to NY since. This was at a time when the Empire State building had a sort of bull-nose summit, apparently lacking the tall aerial it its top today. The United States Lines was a freight company which also operated transatlantic liners including the “USS Washington” (known as the troopship ‘USS Mt Vernon’ during WWII), the “Manhattan” & the “America” and later the ‘United States’. Its 39th St passenger pier is now the home of the NY Waterway ferries to NJ. These were pre-container freight piers around 20th St. “
Photo courtesy of Jonathan Barker.
Photo source:

Pier 58

Circa 1951, Pier 58, Grace Line. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Grace Line, Pier 58. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 58, Grace Line.

Circa 1951, Pier 58, Grace Line. Photo Source:

Piling field; remnant of Pier 58.

Pier 57



Fire Boats fight a blaze at Grace Line Pier 57, West 15th St, near the National Biscuit Co. building.


  • Pier 56

Circa 1951, Pier 56, Cunard and White Star Lines. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 56, Cunard and White Star Lines. Photo Source:


The MAURETANIA alongside the Cunard pier (Pier 56) at New York, 1909.


Pier 55

2015 – Artists Rendering of “Billionaire Barry Diller’s $130 million floating park on the Hudson is actually going to get built, and it looks incredible.” Full story: Photo Source:

Pier 54

Postcard (about 1910) of the RMS Lusitania and Chelsea Piers.
Photo source:

  • This long, open pier regularly hosts such events as Hudson River Park’s free RiverFlicks and RiverRocks series. It has also accommodated a huge variety of special guest events, such as the celebrated Ashes and Snow art installation, MTV concerts and the annual Heritage of Pride Dance Party.
  • Pier 54 was one of a set of piers running along the West Side of Manhattan from West 12th to 23rd Street that made up the Chelsea Piers that was completed in 1910. It was designed by the architectural firm of Warren and Wetmore, which also designed Grand Central Terminal. The piers replaced a hodgepodge of run-down waterfront structures with a row of grand buildings embellished with pink granite facades. Components of the Chelsea Piers included the White Star Line in the north and the Cunard Line in the south. The Titanic was headed for Pier 59 (at about 18th Street).In April 1912 following the Titanic sinking the RMS Carpathia picked up survivors. The ship first went to the White Star piers where it discharged the Titanic‘s lifeboats that had been brought aboard before coming back to Pier 54 to discharge the passengers.The RMS Lusitania left the port in 1915 before being torpedoed and becoming the rallying cry for American involvement in World War I.  The pier continued luxury liner service until the 1930s when a luxury liner row was built between West 44th and West 52nd Street to handle larger liners.The pier was used for troop ships during World War II.  After the war it was used as part of the W. R. Grace and Company and United States Lines freight operations.In the 1980s plans were made to demolish it (and the rest of the Chelsea Piers) for the Westway highway. In 1991 the structure was torn down although it remained an open air pier and the entrance archway was preserved. A faded sign on the archway notes the name of the merged Cunard White Star line.
  • Pier 54 – A Historic New York Location
    • Today, when one ventures down the west side of lower Manhattan, at the foot of 14th Street and near all the commotion of the West Side Highway, there may not seem to be any immediate connection to the great Atlantic Liners of yesterday. However, this was where all of the major Cunard and White Star liners of the late 1800s and early 1900s docked.
    • Pier 54, across from West 13th and 14th Streets, was just one of a series of piers which lined lower west side of Manhattan on the Hudson (“North”) River. At the time of the Lusitania‘s maiden voyage in 1907, only a slab stretching into the North River existed; however, the inadequacies of working without a proper docking facility became manifest quickly. In response to the growing size of the Atlantic liners, the city of New York began to construct the piers that would become famous.

      The new pier buildings were designed by Warren & Wetmore, the architectural firm that would go on to design the Grand Central Terminal Building in Manhattan. Each of the piers had a nearly identical structure that enclosed an enormous volume of space and protected passengers waiting to board or disembark from the elements while they waited. They were functional, but with a pleasant arched roof at the face of each pier. They were an important element in helping New York to stay current with the finest ocean liners that were then in service or under construction, a tremendous improvement from the outdated and worn out nightmares that had been in place before.

    • Pier 54 was where the Cunard Line maintained its primary docking facilities for ships like the Lusitania and Mauretania. Many historic and emotional events played out at this pier. For example, in 1912, this was where the Cunarder Carpathia landed all 7121 of the Titanic‘s survivors. Three years later, this was the pier from which the great Lusitania departed on her last and ill-fated voyage. A newsreel crew had come to watch the departure that morning. They filmed outside the front of the structure as various passengers arrived in cabs, even watching as some off them paid off the drivers and began unloading their luggage. Later, they climbed to the roof of Pier 54 to film the departure. This entire film has been preserved and now adds a unique perspective to the historical record.

    • Pier 54 was destroyed on Friday, May 6, 1932, in a five-alarm fire that was fought by land-based firemen and six fireboats along the waterfront. The conflagration started at about 8:00 a.m. that morning, in some rubbish underneath the pier. The watchman who found it tried to stop the fire by hand and failed miserably. As the flames spread, a regular fire alarm was not turned in promptly, and Cunard employees rushed to carry furniture and paperwork out of the building, with damp handkerchiefs over their faces for protection from the smoke. By the time the first few companies had arrived on the scene, the fire was totally out of control, and some 700 firemen were engaged in the battle. They fought for hours; although they soon realized that they could not save the $2,000,000 pier or the $100,000-plus worth of cargo sitting in it, they tried to prevent the other structures nearby from being engulfed in the flames.
    • One person was killed and dozens of firemen were injured. A nearby building caught fire and was destroyed, and the fire also tried to reach the piers to the north and south of 54. That evening, the burned out wreckage of Pier 54 collapsed into the Hudson.

      These three photographs from the Rickwood Collection show the scene as the pier was burning, as photographed from the stern of the White Star liner Olympic. That famous liner would sail later in the day for Europe. The views look south, down the river (apparently from White Star’s Pier 59). The French Line piers between are visible.

      The Cunard Line had to scramble to obtain other facilities for the use of its liners while they called at New York. Eventually, Pier 54 was completely rebuilt – so well, in fact, that in later years it hardly looked any different from the original structure which had been so completely destroyed on that May day in 1932.

    • The re-built Pier 54 remained in use until Cunard’s main terminus was moved upriver. As the years went by, Pier 54 fell into disrepair. The pier just to the north has been demolished, leaving only wooden piles as a reminder of where it once jutted into the Hudson (North) River. Finally, the Pier 54 building itself was removed, leaving behind a blank concrete pier with only the building’s front frame left behind. 

    • Source:

  • A five alarm firedestroyed Cunard‘s Pier 54 at West 14th Street in May 1932, see video footage, below.

Remnant of Pier 54, Cunard Line.

Photo of Carpathia docked at Pier 54 in New York City in 1912 following the rescue of survivors of the Titanic.
Photo source:


Lusitania at the end of the first leg of her maiden voyage, New York City, September 1907.


RMS Lusitania on her final departure from New York City, during World War I, May 1, 1915. HD Stock Footage.


FDNY, Marine 1 Quarters in the 1940s (Pier 53).
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Cunard and White Star Line, Pier 54. Photo Source:

Ships of the Cunard White Star line (centre) at dock in New York Harbor, circa 1940.

The Media in New York; followed by Cunard’s Caronia, Queen Mary & Britannic (partially hidden). Then the French Liner Liberty, America, Saturnia, and finally the Independence.
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Pier 54, Photo Source:

Pier 53

Pier 53 – NYC Fire Department

Circa 1951, Pier 53. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 53. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 53. Photo Source:

Pier 52

Circa 1951, Pier 52. B&0 Railroad. Photo Source:

Pier 51

Pier 51

Pier 51


Pier 25 - then and now.

Pier 51 – then and now.

Circa 1951, Pier 51. Photo Source:

Pier 50

Circa 1951, Pier 50, Pennsylvania Railroad.

Pier 49

Circa 1951, Pier 49, Pennsylvania Railroad.

Remnant of Pier 49.

Erie Railroad Pier 48 / West 11th Street Pier Station – unknown date (possibly Southern Pacific Company?).
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Erie Railroad, Pier 48. Photo Source:

White Star Line Piers, circa 1905. Photo source:

Circa 1905, White Star Line Piers, about Pier 48 (on left) looking north. Photo Source:

Pier 46

  • The synthetic turf lawn on Pier 46 is a great place for unprogrammed recreation, such as tossing a ball with your family and friends. The piles at the western end of the pier are being preserved because of their value for fish habitat. You might also catch a glimpse of a cormorant or other bird on one of these piles.

Circa 1905, White Star Line piers, New York Photo Source:

Circa 1905 – View of Hudson River. Photo source:

Circa 1951, Pier 46. Photo Source:

Pier 46

Pier 45

Circa 1951, Pier 45, Grace Line. Photo Source:

Circa 1951, Pier 45, Grace Line. Photo Source:

Pier 45.

Pier 42

Circa 1951, Pier 42. Photo Source:

Pier 41

Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Leroy Street Freight Station / Pier 41 – June 18, 1936 P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Circa 1951, Lackawanna Railroad, Pier 41.

Pier 40

Circa 1951, Pier 40, B&O and CNJ railroads. Photo Source:

Pier 40, photo credit, David Shankbone.
Photo source:

From the north looking south. The north end of St. John’s Park Freight Terminal is Clarkson Street. Pier 40 is perpendicular to the building. The upright structure at mid, topright of the photo is Pier 34 – Holland Tunnel Ventilator Shaft. Photo source:

St. John’s Park Freight Terminal, looking east to west. Photo source:

Pier 39–  NOTE:  There is an inconsistency here.  Pier 39 is at West Houston Street, but there is a reference to it being at Liberty Street.  This inconsistency is being reviewed.

Central of New Jersey’s ferryboat ELIZABETH (1904) leaves Liberty Street, Manhattan for Jersey City where passengers connect to CNJ, B&O and Reading Railroad trains. Note the Hudson Terminal Building above the ferry slips and the Woolworth Building to the left and the Singer Tower to the extreme right, the latter soon to be demolished along with the Hudson Terminal, to make way for the World Trade Center towers. (April 18, 1967).
Photo Source:

Pier 38

Pier 34

  • Consists of two “finger” piers that connect the Holland Tunnel Vent Shaft with the bulkhead. The southern finger is a great place for sitting, strolling and fishing. The northern finger is closed to the public and is reserved for emergency access to the vent shaft and is controlled by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Lehigh Valley Railroad Canal Street Freight Station / Pier 34 – November 17, 1926 DeRiso Construction photo (Holland Tunnel Ventilation Structure contracts) NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Pier 32

Remnant of Pier 32.

Pier 31

Pier 30

Pennsylvania Railroad Debrosses Street Freight Station / Pier 30 – February 7, 1931 P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Pennsylvania Railroad Vestry Street Produce Market / Pier 29 – October 24, 1934 (Canal Street left, Pier 29 right) P. L. Sperr photo NYPL Digital Archives.
Photo source:

Pier 28

Pier 27

Pier 26

Pier 26, December 2011.


Aerial view of Piers 25 and 26 in the foreground

Pier 25

Pier 25 – then and now.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.






Posted February 12, 2011 by David Polakoff in Hudson River Park (including current and historic pier information), New York - Waterfront

Tagged with , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 responses to “Hudson River Park (including current and historic pier information)

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I just like the valuable information you supply in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more right here frequently. I’m moderately sure I will learn a lot of new
    stuff right right here! Best of luck for the

  2. Wow. Nice.

  3. Some of the piers you mention were used by steamships long before the use given as original. For example, the first steamships of the Collins Line were berthed at Canal Street in 1850.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: